Employees of Carewest, help contribute to our success as an organization. We encourage our employees to become as involved as possible through the variety of opportunities that present
themselves, such as educational opportunities, committee work and other activities. These opportunities give Carewest employee the chance to have a say in what is happening within Carewest and to develop both personally and professionally.
Our staff work as part of a team, sharing information and offering ideas and suggestions for improvement to care or the workplace. We also encourage employees to take initiative and responsibility for their own jobs, and having a personal voice in their career at Carewest and pride in their accomplishments.
Our staff are hired for the skills and knowledge that they possess; but are also hired for their attitude and heart. The technical part of the work we do needs to be done well. Clients need to receive the appropriate treatments and therapy, excellent personal care, the correct medications, meaningful meals, and engaging social or leisure activities in a safe, clean and well-maintained environment. How we do these things is equally important, which is why all our staff are encouraged to bring their hearts to work in support of Carewest’s Philosophy of Care.
Investing in Our Staff
At Carewest, we believe offering excellent care to our clients and residents starts with our staff. We’ve worked hard – and continue to work hard – to be an employer of choice. We’re good at what we do because great care requires great staff. Carewest’s belief in and commitment to staff is reflected in some of our core values:
- Caring: We care about all individuals. We see the qualities that contribute to the whole person and honour them with kindness, respect and dignity.
- Relationships: We are stronger together. We gain a better understanding of our clients and each other by listening as well as sharing.
- Learning: We are open to change and encourage new ideas and thinking. We learn from evidence, experience and each other.
- Responsibility: We lead with integrity and accountability. We are responsive to our clients and trusted to use resources wisely.
Carewest has developed a new recognition program in an effort to align the program with overall corporate/portfolio goals, that better reflects our frame of reference.
Program elements include:
- Thank-you cards are available on-site and can be utilized by staff, families, residents and volunteers to say thanks for going the extra mile.
- Farewell Awards are given to any employee retiring from Carewest with greater than 6 years of service.
- Staff Appreciation Week. Carewest recognizes the contribution of all employees by providing a breakfast and fun team-building activity each year in June.
- Service recognition is given to all employees who reach an hourly or yearly milestone. Employees will receive a giftcode, congratulatory letter and invited to attend a reception in either November or May.
Alberta’s Top Employers and Best Workplaces:
Carewest was recognized with a spot on Alberta’s Top Employer’s list for 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012 and 2011 and three honourary mentions in Alberta Venture magazine’s Alberta’s Best Workplaces competition in 2010, 2012 and 2015. We received recognition in the categories of Best Workplaces Overall (over 750 employees), Best Workplaces for Health and Safety and Best Workplaces for Training and Development. And in 2012, we were thrilled to be recognized with the title of Canada’s Safest Employer – a recognition earned by only five organizations in the country.