Investing in Our Staff
At Carewest, we believe offering excellent care to our clients and residents starts with our staff. We’ve worked hard – and continue to work hard – to be an employer of choice. We’re good at what we do because great care requires great staff. Carewest’s belief in and commitment to staff is reflected in some of our core values:
- Caring: We care about all individuals. We see the qualities that contribute to the whole person and honour them with kindness, respect and dignity.
- Relationships: We are stronger together. We gain a better understanding of our clients and each other by listening as well as sharing.
- Learning: We are open to change and encourage new ideas and thinking. We learn from evidence, experience and each other.
- Responsibility: We lead with integrity and accountability. We are responsive to our clients and trusted to use resources wisely.
Carewest has developed a new recognition program in an effort to align the program with overall corporate/portfolio goals, that better reflects our frame of reference.
Program elements include:
- 1. Thank You Cards
- 2. Farewell Awards
- 3. Staff Appreciation Week
- 4. Service Awards
- 1. Thank-you cards are available on-site and can be utilized by staff, families, residents and volunteers to say thanks for going the extra mile.
- 2. Farewell Awards are given to any employee retiring from Carewest with greater than 6 years of service.
- 3. Staff Appreciation Week. Carewest recognizes the contribution of all employees by providing a breakfast and fun team-building activity each year in June.
- 4. Service recognition is given to all employees who reach an hourly or yearly milestone. Employees will receive a giftcode, congratulatory letter and invited to attend a reception in either November or May.
We think it’s important to hear from staff first-hand about how we as an employer, are doing, what they like about Carewest and the areas in which we can improve. That’s why every two years we perform a comprehensive staff survey where we seek feedback from staff. We take the results to heart and take concrete steps to improve the areas that need work while ensuring we continue to perform in the areas in which we’re doing well.
Alberta’s Top Employers and Best Workplaces:
Carewest was recognized with a spot on Alberta’s Top Employer’s list for 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012 and 2011 and three honourary mentions in Alberta Venture magazine’s Alberta’s Best Workplaces competition in 2010, 2012 and 2015. We received recognition in the categories of Best Workplaces Overall (over 750 employees), Best Workplaces for Health and Safety and Best Workplaces for Training and Development. And in 2012, we were thrilled to be recognized with the title of Canada’s Safest Employer – a recognition earned by only five organizations in the country.